Did you know that forty-seven years ago, the countertop microwave was first sold? It’s hard to believe that it wasn’t that long ago, especially as now the microwave is considered to be an indispensable necessity in most kitchens up and down the country, being used regularly to re-heat food such as homemade soups in the winter; through to cooking beans and jacket potatoes.
Regular use of such the microwave, whether to defrost food before cooking up a gourmet delight or to heat baked beans to accompany your sausage and mash potatoes, although will quicken your cooking time; will also have an impact on your microwave.
To help you look after your microwave, and to extend the life of the appliance there are a few do’s and don’ts which you should bear in mind each time that you use the microwave in any capacity.
Each time that your microwave is used, give it a clean afterwards. By this, we don’t mean always getting the cleaning products out and give it a thorough clean, but do use a damp cloth to give the inside panels, the door and glass turntable a quick wipe, to help remove any possible build up of bacteria and dirt.
Although you should clean your microwave after each use, don’t clean it as soon as the food is out. Instead, give your microwave time to cool down before cleaning.
Clean any spills or splatters at the earliest possibility, by wiping them over with a damp cloth. This will not only keep your microwave clean and bacteria free; but will also help reduce stale odours occurring and will keep your microwave working to its full potential for longer.
Don’t leave food spills for too long in the microwave and don’t leave food debris to remain too long as baked on food if left for too long can turn into carbon, which then has the potential to cause electric sparks, which will invariably cause damage to the microwave.
When cleaning the microwave (once it has cooled down), don’t clean it using bleach, as bleach doesn’t actually clean the area it is being used on; instead it “bleaches” the area it is being used on, but leaves the dirt behind.
On a regular basis provide your microwave with a thorough clean, using a dedicated microwave cleaner, such as the Wellco Professional Microwave Cleaner.
As part of the thorough clean, you should remove the glass turntable and leave this to soak in warm soapy water, whilst you clean the rest of the rest of your microwave using the Wellco cleaner.
The cleaner will cut through any dirt, grease and grime which has built up in your microwave, as well as any food which has burnt on, leaving your microwave looking clean and smelling fresh. What’s more, the non-toxic food safe cleaner means that you can use the microwave straight away.
With the inside of your microwave cleaned, give the glass turntable a scrub to ensure all dirt and food debris has been removed, before putting it back into the microwave.
Following these simple do’s and don’ts when it comes to your microwave, and using dedicated cleaning products to clean the appliance will see it lasting for years to come and working to its full potential, meaning whether you’re looking to re-heat, defrost or cook using it, it’ll be done in no time.