This job involves the removal or slackening of screws with ‘security’ heads. I already had a set of ‘security’ screwdriver ‘bits’, which I had bought cheaply on the local market. No other special tools required.
1) Remove the 6 screws that hold the black upper housing cover in place. Easier to do this if whole shredder is turned upside down.
2) Turn shredder right way up & pull housing cover off.
3) Remove top 2 or 3 screws that hold the 2 sides of the green plastic chute together. Slacken off remaining screw(s).
4) Pull & hold the green plastic parts apart at the top & manipulate the old insert out. This is a difficult bit! Be careful not to break the green plastic. May help if you wedge the green plastic apart or have assistance.
5) Insert the new insert – reverse of previous step – again a bit difficult. Make sure that it is right way up & right way round! Insert has 1 lug in centre of 1 side & 2 lugs towards ends on other side. Ensure that these match up with corresponding cut-outs in metal rim.
6) Replace & re-tighten 4 screws in green plastic chute.
7) Replace housing cover. May not fit exactly at this point, if it has been distorted by use. Carefully turn whole shredder upside down & replace 6 screws, but DO NOT TIGHTEN COMPLETELY at this stage.
8) Turn shredder right way up. Gradually ease housing cover into correct position – its inner edge fits into a groove in top of insert. Gradually tighten screws in turn (have to do this with shredder right way up) until housing cover is securely in place & all screws are tight.