Steam cleaning is becoming a popular way to clean spots and stains out from carpets, floors, furniture and upholsteries.
Not only is steam an effective alternative to harmful chemicals it also helps to sanitise whilst cleaning, ridding your home of potentially harmful bacteria. You can save time, money and be green by using steam to clean in and around your home.
How steam cleaners work
- Steam cleaners take regular tap water and by use of a small internal boiler or electric valve, super heat it to over 200° to generate steam.
- The steam is then pushed out through the machine via the attachment onto the desired surface.
- The steam from the machine works to loosen and remove the grime, grease, dirt or whatever else might have soiled the area. As well as cleaning, steam also sanitises surfaces killing up to 98% of potentially harmful bacteria and germs including: mould, mildew, dust mites, bed bugs and fleas.
- The microfiber steam cleaning cloths are placed over the cleaning attachment. They trap the steam as it comes out of the machine - this prevents the steam from dissipating into the air, so it can more efficiently clean the dirty surface.
Benefits of steam cleaning
- Steam cleaning is environmentally friendly
Because steam cleaning only requires water and heat you can avoid using chemicals such as ammonia or bleach which are very harmful to the environment.
- Benefits to your health
Cleaners that contain chemicals can leave a residue on surfaces which might be hazardous and in some cases can even cause disease. Think of small children who might be playing or crawling on the floor as well as pets and the potential danger chemical residue left on surfaces could pose.
Steam cleaning has been proven to get rid of bed bugs, fleas and dust mites. Dust mites are second only to pollen in causing allergic reactions in humans. By eliminating dust mites you reduce your exposure to these allergens, protecting your health.
By eliminating allergen- ridden dust mites from your home you also help reduce the chance of your children acquiring asthma. Early exposure to allergens makes kids more susceptible to the disease. By steam cleaning beds, sofas and other furniture you'll be helping to protect your family as well as keeping your home sparkling clean.
- Save money
Steam cleaning can be used throughout the home on almost all surfaces and upholstery types you no longer need to buy cleaning products.
Choosing the right steam cleaner
Whilst steam cleaners vary in shape, size and strength, there are 3 styles that are most common for use in the home. Depending on what you'll be using the steam cleaner for will determine which type best suits you.
- Lightweight steam cleaner
- Designed to be used on any smooth, hard surface such as sealed wood, tile, linoleum and laminate flooring.
- Can be easily stored
- For smaller, more manageable surface areas.
- Perfect for door handles, sink handles and hard to reach areas in the bathroom and kitchen.
- They can also be used to get wrinkles out of clothing.
- Larger canister style steamers
- Can be used throughout your home.
- Come with various attachments which can be used on all types of flooring and surfaces in your home.