Read on to learn how Dyson's multi-patented mechanism works, and more importantly, the benefits it brings to your carpets.
The "Dual Cyclone" step-by-step
- Dirty air is drawn in by a fan.
- This air goes into the top corner of a drum or bin. The angle it enters the bin causes it to spiral around, creating centrifugal force. This force causes the larger dust particles to spin out of the air stream and fall to the bottom of the bin.
- The air then flows through a filter, which catches more dust particles.
- The air continues through a conical cylinder housed in the bin. The angle the air enters from and the sloping walls of the cylinder combine to cause the air, containing the smallest dust particles, to spin down to the bottom of the cone at an increasing speed.
- Centrifugal force acting on the air stream increases, forcing the dust particles against the sides of the cone and through the hole in the bottom of the cone, while the air escapes up the centre.
How does it trap dust?
Dyson's Dual Cyclone features double chamber cleaning technology, which optimises your vacuum's suction and prevents dust from being blown back into the room.
- When dirt enters the Dual Cyclone tube, it's swirled around at an immense speed by the first cyclone. Gravitational forces cause large particles to sink to the bottom of the transparent dust container.
- At the same time, hair and fluff are prevented from passing through to the second Dyson cyclone by a shroud, which is a sort of sieve. These particulates are safely trapped in the bin.
- The smallest bits enter the second compartment at the core of the Dual Cyclone, where wind speed is highest and even the finest dust is forced to fall down.
- At the end of this process, the air is perfectly clean, odourless and void of any dust or allergens. In fact, it's cleaner than the regular air around your room!
Benefits of the Dual Cyclone
- Improved suction
Dirt particles are no longer clogging up an air-filtering dust bag, so suction is improved and won't decrease as go from room to room. Proper suction ensures that no dirt is left behind.
- No bags needed
No vacuum bags are necessary with this design, which means that you don't have to dirty your hands replacing a filthy sack of dust. It also reduces the hidden costs of operating your vacuum - the only parts of a Dyson vacuum cleaner that need occasional replacement are:
Dyson technology is cleaner, cheaper to operate and more energy- and time-efficient than bagged vacuum models. If your Dyson needs some maintenance, or if you want accessories that weren't included in your model's package, visit our Dyson Spares & Accessories section and choose your Dyson's model to get started.